Bernadette

I agree that it would be redundant to say "This work-description of
(work)-That work" twice. But if the refined designators in Appendix J.2.3
are used, then it is not redundant to say "This work-analysis of (work)-That
work" and "This work-commentary on (work)-That work" where This work is both
an analysis and commentary on That work.

Note that I am assuming the "description of (work)" designator is equivalent
to the inverse of FRSAD's "has as subject" relationship.

The point you make about unhelpful repetition in records is important,
particularly when metadata statements (triples) are being aggregated from
multiple sources. As I have suggested, the range and number of such sources
is likely to increase. We already have the experimental WorldCat and BNB
linked data making duplicate statements, and I think it is inevitable that,
say, in 10 years' time there will be hundreds of sources of linked open, but
duplicate, metadata about any one bibliographic resource. Libraries will
want to use this free metadata, but will have to work out how to reject any
duplicated or irrelevant or dodgy statements - provenance (who made the
statement, when they made it, and under what context/rules) will become
essential information.

Cheers

Gordon