If you calculate an edgeplot via Ethan's server:
http://skuld.bmsc.washington.edu/scatter/AS_form.html
you'll see that Zn @1Å has about 3 anomalous electrons whereas Ca less than 1, so assuming occupancy of 1 the stronger anomalous signal should give you a hint, second looking at the refined B-values if you placed the wrong metal should also coincide with your correct choice of metal.

The question with the mixture, well lets wave some hands and bring in biological relevance. If the protein is supposed to do something with Ca then I would say so, even if Zn is bound. If the anomalous signal is comparable to the SeMet sites then I would model Zn there but say it's likely not physiological as Ca is required by this enzyme.

Jürgen

On Oct 30, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Jim Pflugrath wrote:

> How would you distinguish between a mixture of Ca and Zn in the same locations?

Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins University
Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute
615 North Wolfe Street, W8708
Baltimore, MD 21205
Office: +1-410-614-4742
Lab:      +1-410-614-4894