Dear Theresa

closely at the image (eg changing the contrast level) with the
predicted pattern superimposed after indexing, or alternatively just
integrate the image and look at the reported mean I/sigmaI as a
function of resolution. Both of these  are trivially easy to do with
iMosflm.

You need to remember that any number of issues (eg zingers, hot
pixels, ice diffraction) can give rise to what are apparently
significant intensity spots, so to distinguish between "real
diffraction" and artifacts you need to look carefully at the spot size
and shape as well as its intensity (and whether it is predicted).

The other point to bear in mind is that generally there is no problem
integrating the images to a resolution a bit beyond where spots are
visible, eg to 3.0-3.2Å when spots are only visible to ~3.4-3.5Å and
then using the merging or refinement statistics to decide the "true"
resolution of the data.

Best wishes,

Andrew Leslie