No air in the vessel,  no foam. Yield of soluble, active protein from broken cells is quite comparable or better than French press or sonication, but with no aerosols. The bead-beating unit is encased in ice water, and is used 15 s on and 45 sec off to minimize heat buildup. The solution still feels cold when transferred to centrifuge tubes for clarification. I suppose I could measure it next time to see how much it actually warms up during beating.

Based on these observations, I conclude that the cell lysis by bead-beating is no more disruptive to proteins than a French press, but much, much faster. As a bonus, genomic DNA is sheared, so no more slimy lysates. We have used bead beaters exclusively since 1997 or so when I learned about them from a Swedish research group I was visiting. They are handy in both the teaching and research lab.

Roger Rowlett