I took a look at the first four lessons at the first link, and I think there must be some mistake-
this site is actually teaching BASIC. All these commands are valid syntax under say microsoft
GWBasic or QuickBasic. But I think this Zed Shaw has been studying shell programming also and got mixed up because he uses this octa-#-thorpe instead of apostrophe or REM to denote comments.

Remember when parents used to send their kids to computer boot camp to learn BASIC
for fear they would be computer-illiterate and couldn't function in the modern age if
they couldn't program a computer?

>>> Sean Seaver <[log in to unmask]> 10/20/12 1:43 PM >>>
I'd also recommend:

Learn Python The Hard Way By Zed A. Shaw
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/

Online Python Tutor
http://pythontutor.com/

Take Care,