Subject: Re:
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:55:18 +0000
From: Nicholas Keep <[log in to unmask]>
To: vellieux <[log in to unmask]>
CC: [log in to unmask]

Dear Fred,
Sorry did not mean to send a personal post, it was meant to go to the
list which it has now.  I think some discussion of career issues is not
a bad thing for ccp4bb particularly as we allow job adverts.  The
discussion was starting to be a bit negative about recruitment.

What you recount is a truly dreadful story.  Like the original posting I
think one of the major problems was being made to pick up your own
expenses.  Not something that I have come across in the UK. Perhaps a
point that should be made on the list, except I think there is a desire
to shut this line down.

Institutions should at least pay the costs of attendance; they have the
balance of power. There are as I said people who come for interview with
little intention of taking the job, but the faculty at least get a
seminar for the travel costs.

Feel free to post this or a summary if you think it is helpful.
Best wishes
Nick

--
Prof Nicholas H. Keep
Executive Dean of School of Science

email     [log in to unmask]
Telephone 020-7631-6852  (Room G54a Office)
          020-7631-6800  (Department Office)
Fax       020-7631-6803
If you want to access me in person you have to come to the
crystallography entrance
and ring me or the department office from the internal phone by the door