No air in the vessel,  no foam. Yield of soluble, active protein from
broken cells is quite comparable or better than French press or sonication,
but with no aerosols. The bead-beating unit is encased in ice water, and is
used 15 s on and 45 sec off to minimize heat buildup. The solution still
feels cold when transferred to centrifuge tubes for clarification. I
suppose I could measure it next time to see how much it actually warms up
during beating.

Based on these observations, I conclude that the cell lysis by bead-beating
is no more disruptive to proteins than a French press, but much, much
faster. As a bonus, genomic DNA is sheared, so no more slimy lysates. We
have used bead beaters exclusively since 1997 or so when I learned about
them from a Swedish research group I was visiting. They are handy in both
the teaching and research lab.

Roger Rowlett