Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 137 | October 15, 2012 | web | pdf

Editorial

The Newsletter is read mostly by academic/professional economists, graduate students, and activities. We recently found that even a high school student read our Newsletter. The student, who had already looked at the Heterodox Economics Directory, was asking us for new updates to the listings of Canadian undergraduate economics programs which offer courses in Post Keynesian economics. We replied to the student based on our best knowledge. Earlier this year we received a similar query from a student regarding graduate programs in heterodox economics. The Heterodox Economics Directory is a very useful resource for heterodox economists and students, so please let us know by mid-December if we need to update items already listed or send us new items which we (the editors) may have missed, as we will publish the 5th edition of the Directory in January 2013.

It’s job market season, so in this issue you will find links to eleven position openings for heterodox economists. It is also “political season” here in the US, and our two main presidential candidates seem to be preparing middle class Americans for different versions of austerity, one a little more extreme than the other.  In our Calls for Support section, you can sign a non-partisan petition that urges politicians of all stripes to support “Jobs and Growth, Not Austerity.”  Also in our Calls for Support you will find an important appeal tosave historical records that are being destroyed at Ruskin College, Oxford.  “The College was a repository of lived experience of the trade union and labour movement of the twentieth century and its records complemented that.”  Please see the article by Hilda Kean (a former dean) and the associated petition.

Next week I (Ted) am off to the 16th Conference of the Research Network Macroeconomics and Macroeconomic Policies (FMM) in Berlin, Germany and look forward to meeting many of you there.

In solidarity,

Tae-Hee Jo and Ted P. Schmidt, Editors

heterodoxnews.com

Table of Contents

Call for Papers

2nd International Conference on Complementary Currency Systems: Multiple moneys and development

Association for Institutional Thought Annual Conference 2013

Association for Institutional Thought (AFIT) Student Scholars Award Competition

WSSA Student Paper Competition

Annual North American Basic Income Guarantee Congress 2013

Australian Society of Heterodox Economists (SHE) Annual Conference 2012

Critical Governance Conference 2012

Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences

Eastern Economics Association Annual Conference 2013

Union for Radical Political Economics (URPE) at EEA

Association for Social Economics (ASE) at EEA

International Journal on Strikes and Social Conflicts

Journal of Comparative and International Social Policy

The Post Keynesian Forum

Review of Keynesian Economics: Special Issue on Industrial organization, labor relations, and labor market outcomes

Shadow Banking: A European Perspective

Call for Participants

III Ciclo de Seminários em Metodologia e História do Pensamento Econômico

Cambridge Realist Workshop

Colloque: "La crise du capitalisme financiarisé", en l'honneur de François Morin

International Eco-Cities Initiative

Historical Materialism London Conference

Hyman P. Minsky Conference on Financial Instability

Hyman P. Minsky Summer Seminar 2013

Keynes Society Japan

London Seminar on Contemporary Marxist Theory

PKSG Keynes Seminar

St. Edmund’s College G.L.S. Shackle Biennial Memorial Lecture

University of Leeds Economic Research Seminars

Job Postings for Heterodox Economists

Alleghany College, US

California State University – San Bernardino, US

Carleton University, Canada

Gettysburg College, US

Hampshire College, US

Levy Economics Institute, US

North Central College, US

Portland State University, US

Assistant Professor, Macroeconomics

Assistant Professor, Environmental and Resource Economics

Sheffield Political Economy Research Institute

Towson University, US

University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma, US

Conference Papers, Reports, and Podcasts

Economic Roundtable: Post-Keynesian Theory

The Origins and Evolution of Radical Political Economics

Heterodox Journals

American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 71(4): October 2012

Brazilian Journal of Political Economy, 32, N.3 (128): Jul-Set 2012

densidades, n°10: Septiembre 2012

Industrial and Corporate Change, 21(5): October 2012

International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education, 3(1): 2012

International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education, 3(2): 2012

Journal of Institutional Economics, 8(3): September 2012

Metroeconomica, 63(4): Nov. 2012

Moneta e Credito, 65(258): 2012

Oeconomia – History/Methodology/Philosophy, 3(1): September 2012

PSL Quarterly Review, 65(261): 2012

Real World Economics Review, 61: September 2012

Review of Keynesian Economics

Working USA: The Journal of Labor and Society, 15(3): September 2012

Heterodox Newsletters

Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

Global Labour Column

IDEAs

Institute for New Economic Thinking (INET)

International Initiative for Promoting Political Economy (IIPPE)

Levy News

Revista Circus

Heterodox Books and Book Series

Approximating Prudence: Aristotelian Practical Wisdom and Economic Models of Choice

The Collected Writings of John Maynard Keynes 30 Volume Paperback Set

The Endless Crisis: How Monopoly-Finance Capital Produces Stagnation and Upheaval from the USA to China

The Macroeconomics of Finance-Dominated Capitalism – And Its Crisis

The Microfoundations Delusion: Metaphor and Dogma in the History of Macroeconomics

The New Global Political Economy: From Crisis to Supranational Integration

Theories of Money and Banking

What we are fighting for: a radical collective manifesto

Heterodox Book Reviews

Harvesting Gold: Thomas Edison’s Experiment to Re-Invent American Money

Weboeconomia Book Review

Heterodox Graduate Programs, Scholarships, and Grants

Bath Prize Fellows, University of Bath, UK

The Governance of Scientific Expertise

Corporations and Public Health: exploring the impacts of corporations on non-communicable diseases and public health policies

Universities of Florence, Pisa and Siena

Sheffield Political Economy Research Institute, Ph.D Studentship

Ph.D. Dissertations in Heterodox Economics

Internationalization of Money Manager Capitalism and its impacts on Global Financial Stability: How changes in the Financial System of the Developed World Increased Capital Flows and Global Financial Instability in the New Millennium

The Place of Conventional Economics in a World with Communities and Social Goods

Calls for Support

Jobs and Growth, Not Austerity

Whose Archive? Whose History? Destruction of Archives at Ruskin College, Oxford

For Your Information

Shiftchange: Putting Democracy to Work

Solidarity Declaration by the EuroMemo Group

Listserv information can be found at http://listserv.buffalostate.edu