Jim, sorry, but you're wrong. Deutsch said, in the abstract to his paper that first proposed quantum computers: "Computing machines resembling the universal quantum computer could, in principle, be built and would have many remarkable properties not reproducible by any Turing machine."

The paper was "Quantum theory, the Church-Turing principle and the universal quantum computer", and it can be found here: http://www.ceid.upatras.gr/tech_news/papers/quantum_theory.pdf

Dylan

On 17 Oct 2012, at 21:13, Jim Andrews wrote:

> The Turing machine hasn't been redefined, Dylan. It's the same as it was when Turing dreamed it up. Lots has changed, of course, in computing over the last 75 years. But not the Turing machine. It is still the bedrock of the theory of computation.
>
> That quantum computers are fast enough to behave like Turing machines in parallel, Dylan, is simply to say that they behave like Turing machines, because n Turing machines operating in parallel aren't going to compute anything that a single Turing machine can't compute. The quantum device will compute Turing-computable things more quickly, but speed is not at issue.
>
> The question of whether quantum computing is truly a new paradigm of computing involves the question of whether it offers new computations that a Turing machine can never ever (never) compute.
>
> ja
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dylan Harris" <[log in to unmask]>

Dylan Harris

---