From where I sit, we are certainly not ‘on the road toward all of the nationalities that have made Great Britain being included as a part of British History’. But even if we were, I would still be interested in knowing the history of Hungarians in the UK, of Celts, Huguenots, et al.  And that history would need to include all the prejudices and discriminations, legal and other.

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Herman Ross
Sent: 18 October 2012 17:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: My article on Guardian website today: Slavery shouldn't distort the story of black people in Britain

I agree with Arthur that it is British History but the problem of course is the use of the term Black as a political statement and unfortunately as a need to fill in the gaps in previously accepted histories that are British referenced. Some day maybe there will not be a need to have all of the distinctions of nationalities and/as races in British population quotas. Maybe we are on the road toward all of the nationalities that have made Great Britain being included as a part of British History without having to list them separately.

H.E. Ross