Dear colleagues, If you want to know more about the Mosireen film
collective there's information below, there's also a video on the
campaign page which is here: http://igg.me/p/47992. Yours, Lee

    OUR STORY

Mosireen is a non-profit media collective in Downtown Cairo born out of
the explosion of citizen media and cultural activism in Egypt during the
revolution. Armed with mobile phones and cameras, thousands upon
thousands of citizens kept the balance of truth in their country by
recording events as they happened in front of them, wrong-footing
censorship and empowering the voice of a street-level perspective.

Egypt's march towards the future its millions demanded did not end with
Mubarak leaving power, it began.

Mosireen, which is a play on the Arabic words for "Egypt" and
"determined" was founded in the wake of Mubarak's fall by a group of
film makers and activists who got together to found a collective space
dedicated to supporting citizen media of all kinds. We film the ongoing
revolution, /publish videos
<http://www.youtube.com/user/Mosireen?feature=mhee>/ that /challenge
state media narratives <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00t-0NEwc3E>,
provide training <http://mosireen.org/?p=1072>,/ technical support,
equipment, /organise screenings
<http://mosireen.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/film-sch.pdf>,/  and
events and host an extensive library of footage from the revolution.

Within three months of publishing videos we were the most watched
non-profit youtube channel in Egypt of all time, and in the whole world
in January.

The Mosireen workspace is /open to everyone
<http://mosireen.org/?page_id=6>,/ regardless of their level of
experience or ability to pay. We see a large part of our role as helping
to network between a wide variety of initiatives and projects,
especially those born out of a spirit of civic engagement. As well as
connecting those with skills, we are also working to share our skills
with others and have run free training courses for more than 250 people
so far.

All our services are run on a pay-what-you-can basis. All our videos are
available to /download <http://mosireen.org/?page_id=620>/ or /stream
<http://www.youtube.com/mosireen>/ completely for free and openly for
all non-commercial viewing, screening, distribution.

We are at a crucial moment in history where we have a chance to improve
our society, to take strides towards social justice, to make broader
opportunities for more people, to lessen the divisions between classes.
And it will be that little bit easier with your help.

    OUR SERVICES

/Mosireen is open 12-10pm every day, except Friday./
/We welcome everyone to use our space as a workspace. We have internet
and basic working facilities – desks, computers, a printer./

////

/We have 3 iMacs featuring editing and other software suites (Final Cut
Pro, Adobe CreativeSuite, etc.); these computers are available for use
during our working hours./

//

/We have a variety of cameras and sound recording equipment that are
available for rental./

/Our meeting room can accommodate up to twenty people, and can be booked
on an hourly basis, any time from 12-10pm./

/We host a public archive of footage of the revolution collected from
January 25th 2011 onwards. It is available for viewing during our
working hours. Any of the videos on the public archive are free to
download and use on a creative commons basis, with attribution where
appropriate. The archive is available for commercial use. Details upon
request. For specific needs with the archive, we have an open clinic on
Tuesdays 12-8PM./

**

**/We hold a variety of workshops on editing, filming, use of social
media, and other media skills./

/
Intermediate DSLR workshop in Mosireen/

**

Rahal

An intensive filming, editing, compression and uploading workshop
designed for beginners. After three days students learn everything they
need to know to produce and publish their own videos. In 2012 we will
run these workshops in five cities other than Cairo.

**

**

/We hold film screenings at Mosireen every Tuesday at 8pm, screening a
variety of feature films, documentaries and short films from around the
world./

//

/Tahrir Cinema is an open-air screening of revolutionary footage that
takes place in Tahrir Square, presenting the products of Egyptian
citizen journalism as filmed in protests, strikes and sit-ins. The
footage shown at Tahrir cinema represents an alternative media that is
open for everyone to film, produce and interact with./

//

//Tahrir Cinema occupied space outdoor screening in tahrir square//

*Political Calendar*

/We host a calendar that includes the different political events
(meetings, talks, protests, sit-ins, strikes etc.) taking place in
Egypt. The political calendar is updated daily and can be found online./

//

donation box in the kitchen

*WHAT WE NEED*

To keep the space operating, run workshops, employ staff and maintain
our equipment we need around $60,000 a year.

We plan on raising this money through private donations, membership fees
and online fundraising. We are very keen to keep the membership fees as
low as possible to make media work accessible to everyone. We are also
not taking any governmental or NGO money to ensure we have total
independence.

If you can afford to support us - thank you. You'll be supporting one of
the groups of people working to resist the growing crackdown on free
speech from our new military rulers.

WHAT YOU GET

We've thought a lot about the perks system of these crowd funding
websites. And we realised that you're not going to support us so that
you can get a Mosireen t-shirt or a mug. If you're going to support us
it's going to be for the work, it's going to be because you consider
yourself part of the global community pushing for change. When you
support us, you're supporting a community of hundreds of media activists
that we engage with.

If you /really/ want something in return, come by the workspace and
we'll give you DVDs of films to spread around and help you make your own
tea and coffee. And if you can't come by and want a DVD of our work,
we'll find a way of getting it to you.
  -- Dr Lee Grieveson Reader in Film Studies Director of the Graduate
Programme in Film Studies Centre for Intercultural Studies UCL Gower
Street London WC1E 6BT Tel: +44(0)20 7679 2266/7024 Fax: +44(0)20 7209
0638 Email: [log in to unmask] UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/filmstudies/
Colonial Film project: http://www.colonialfilm.org.uk BFI book series:
http://www.palgrave.com/bfi/culturalhistories.asp