From: Announcement list for the British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Claydon, E. Anna (Dr.) [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 October 2012 11:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: No more 'solipsistic film criticism' please!

Agreed. It's all got rather circular.

Best wishes
Anna

-----Original Message-----
From: Announcement list for the British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Chapman
Sent: 29 October 2012 10:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: No more 'solipsistic film criticism' please!

I wonder if it would be possible - indeed if anyone else would support the idea - of following a suggestion made by Leo to open a discussion forum on the BAFTSS website for debates around issues such as 'solipsistic film criticism'.

I value the BAFTSS mailing list for getting notifications of conferences, calls for papers, seminars and new publications, that are sometimes of interest to me, and/or to colleagues and research students. However, I have no interest in the (to my mind) rather tedious contretemps over 'solipistic film criticism' or spats over somebody's response to somebody else's review of somebody else's book. Yet over the last week I've had a dozen or more messages in my inbox because this debate is being carried out on the general mailing list. If I unsubscribe from the list, however, I won't get the announcements about conferences, publications, etc.

If there were a discussion forum on the BAFTSS website, then those who are interested in following or contributing to these debates could do so with all the vim and vigour we have seen in these messages, while those of us who remain uninterested could remain blissfully ignorant of the whole thing.

James

EMERGING EXCELLENCE: In the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008,
more than 30% of our submissions were rated as 'Internationally
Excellent' or 'World-leading'. Among the academic disciplines now rated
'World-leading' are Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design;
English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies;
History; Music; Psychology; and Social Work & Social Policy &
Administration. Visit www.anglia.ac.uk/rae for more information.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named
recipient(s)only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in
error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show
them to anyone please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and
then immediately delete the e-mail from your system. Any opinions
expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.
Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are
free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good computing
practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.
Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which
may not be a 100% secure communications