Well, Uwe and I are definitely on the same page on this one of course.  But
this whole discussion does raise, for me, a question about which I have not
thought about.  And this is a question that, in an ideal world, the
conference I'm disrespecting would seriously address.

So here's the question: does anybody have good examples of situations in
which experts have proposed health care reforms that actually worked?

I've done a little work on unicorns and zombies and how, a very large part
of the time, whether an idea is any good has no relationship to whether it
is promoted in the policy communities, or to whether it is actually
"adopted" as policy by political authorities (adoption, here, not being
quite the same as *implementation*!)  For example, I wrote up a version of
this for the 2012 Carnet de Sante de la France, at Jean de Kervasdoue's
kind invitation (please excuse the absence of proper punctuation marks).
When I presented the english version of the paper to my colleagues in my
political science department the response was essentially: "So what?  What
else is new?  Nobody would seriously expect expert advice to be anything
other than biased, self-promoting, and wrong."  And, one colleague added,
"the INTERESTING question is the conditions under which it is at all
reliable.  Tell us stories about that."

It's an interesting challenge.  On the whole, I think budget analysis by
agencies properly constructed and buffered tends to be pretty good.  CBO,
if it is wrong, will be wrong because it would be very hard to get it
right.  This involves some norms of caution, insisting on evidence, etc;
that health policy advocates find very narrow and small-minded.
http://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/Files/Publications/Issue%20Brief/2010/May/1405_Cutler_impact_hlt_reform_on_hlt_sys_spending_ib_v4.pdf
(see page 8)

I also think that DRGs, though dramatically oversold (in part because they
are used for very different purposes and there is only really good evidence
that they accomplished much in the U.S., where it wasn't so hard to do
better) are, on the whole, a fairly sensible idea.  But does anybody else
have good examples of expert advice in health care reform, and in
particular ideas that are highly promoted in the policy community, actually
being based on strong evidence and doing good?  There have to be some.
Don't there?

best,
Joe