From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites on behalf of fiona beglane
Sent: Mon 2012-09-10 4:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] worked bone preparation

	I do some experimental boneworking with my undergraduates each year and find that soaking the bone for a number of days beforehand softens it up so that it can be worked more easily without random splitting and fracturing and brittleness.  Standard woodworking tools then work very well, and we have used the small wood carving sets for doing e.g. decoration.
	Fiona