Dear zooarchers,

A colleague from the University of Portsmouth (Garry Scarlett) has asked me to forward the following information, which could be of interest for some archaeology students interested in genetics:

"My department offers a number of MRes courses and one of these
positions will be on ancient DNA extraction and analysis from animal bones. The student will be jointly supervised by myself and my colleague Dr Maziar Bonab, the course fees will be £5000 but there will be some opportunity to earn (limited) money from helping with undergraduate demonstrating. We have good facilities for this type of work. As with all MRes courses it will be 90% research lab based and would start in January lasting one year. It would be an ideal chance for an archaeology student who wanted to learn molecular and modern genetic techniques for their future career.

http://www.port.ac.uk/research/ibbs/biomolecularstructure/garyscarlettslab/"

If you want to know more please do contact Garry directly:  [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,
Umberto

--
Umberto Albarella
Department of Archaeology
University of Sheffield
Northgate House
West Street
Sheffield S1 4ET
United Kingdom
Telephone: (+) 44 (0) 114 22 22 943
Fax: (+) 44 (0) 114  22 25 109
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/archaeology/people/albarella
For MSc in Osteoarchaeology see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/postgraduate/masters/courses-available/osteoarchaeology
For Zooarchaeology short course see:
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/zooarchaeology-lab/short-course
For Archaeologists for Global Justice (AGJ) see:
http://agj.group.shef.ac.uk/

"only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught we will realise we cannot eat money"