Hi Sylvia

It may not seem related, but you may find the various threads on preparing,
 degreasing bone, etc. (whale, horse...) of interest.

 I've copied (below your email), Julie Bond's email which comments on
making combs from whale bone. I also have had conversations with palaeo-tools
researchers who comment that marking tools from bone is so much harder than
antler. Horn being easier to use is easy to understand but I was surprised
that  antler is apparently more pliable and effected by soaking than other
bone -  perhaps because of its growth/structure which may lead to drying
out/being less  fatty than limb bones... At any rate, the suggestion here seems
to be that fresh  bone isn't a good material - that the bones need to be
'cured' - what  essentially seems to be degreased/dried.

Given my experience with curing fresh horse bone, which I assume will be
similar to cattle, the scapula is a lot less greasy than the other limb
bones,  but still has grease. Biotex and simmering water is probably best to
degrease,  than dry in a slow oven, then maybe simmer in plain water...  If you
only  dry in an oven be prepared for a thick, sticky, almost tar-like,
orange  grease (think glues) and a not particularly pleasant smell.

A web search will also yield sites for people who make reproductions/ bone
objects who might be willing to offer some advice.

best
Pam

Pamela J Cross
PhD researcher, Bioarchaeology
Horses of Men &  Gods project
Archaeological Sciences, University of Bradford, BD7 1DP  UK
p.j.cross (at) student.bradford.ac.uk / pajx (at)  aol.com
http://www.barc.brad.ac.uk/resstud_Cross.php
_http://bradford.academia.edu/PamCross_
(http://bradford.academia.edu/PamCross)