Hi Sylvia,

Coincidentally, I have just been having a related discussion with a Roman
artefacts colleague, about the relative merits of working antler fresh or
weathered. I don't have a lot of hands- on experience of this, though
having sawn up a few bones for various purposes, one of the issues with
really fresh bone is the tendency for the bone dust to 'gum up' saws and
drills. Fresh bone is also very resilient, so working by chisels,
spokeshaves, files etc can be compromised by a tendency for the material to
'give' as the blade pushes into it, rather than cutting. The closest
analogy I can think of is the difference between working green wood and
seasoned wood. My inclination with bone would be to treat the bone with hot
water and detergent to shift as much of the lower molecular-weight organics
as possible without compromising the collagen, then make sure it is
thoroughly dry before working it.

Terry

Terry O'Connor
Professor of Archaeological Science
Department of Archaeology, University of York
Biology S Block, Heslington,
York YO10 5DD
+44-1943-328619
http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/terry-oconnor/