Hi Dan,

>> how many HEI's in the UK have positions directly responsible for improving the user experience

Judging by the lack of quality dialogue on the [log in to unmask] I'd say there aren't many of us! :)
While it's not my job title, this kind of thing is becoming my role - the percentage of time spent on it increasing year on year.

I've been writing about it (along with content management, stakeholder management, accessibility etc) for a few years now at:
http://usability-ed.blogspot.co.uk/
I also presented at this year's IWMW, summarising my experiences in the field over the past few years:
http://usability-ed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/user-centred-design-edinburgh.html

>> having trouble persuading & educating budget holders?

In my opinion, you've got to talk about it, do it, report on it (particularly ROI) and talk about it some more.

It's always a battle, but I'm in a position now where projects I lead have UCD principles embedded into the process and bit-by-bit, people I've worked with in the past are coming back and asking for advice or resources so they can replicate in projects they're now doing independently.

A big part of this influencing is training. I've had Writing for the Web training in place at Edinburgh for 5 years now (1500+ attendees), UT training for about 4 (300+ attendees see feedback here: http://bit.ly/nQzZWC) and more recently have piloted prototyping and Google Analytics training. If you've got people on the ground convinced (and believing in your work) then sometimes it can be like pushing on an open door. Only sometimes, though!

Best

Neil Allison
University Website Programme
The University of Edinburgh