Richard,
On 13 Sep 2012, at 20:23, Richard Smith wrote:

> Dear UTSG,
>
> I am producing an undergraduate dissertation at Oxford University, and I
> was wondering if anyone knew of a good resource for an ArcGIS-compatible
> layer mapping out the UK rail network. It doesn't need to be down to the
> level of individual lines and sidings, simply the kind of thing you'd find
> on a broader map for route-finding use. So far, I've not had much luck in
> searching.

OS Strategi on Digimap is probably what you want... the rail layer can be separated from the others quite simply in your choice of GIS package

http://digimap.edina.ac.uk/webhelp/os/osdigimaphelp.htm#data_information/os_products/strategi.htm

--
Anzir Boodoo, PhD student
The Institute for Transport Studies, The University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT