The Centre for Transport Studies is pleased to welcome

Professor Liping Fu

(Director of iTSS Lab, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada)
to lead a seminar entitled

Winter Road Safety and Mobility

to be held

Friday 14 September 2012 - 16:00

Please join us for presentation and discussion at

Room 163, Skempton Building, Imperial College London
(Maps and travel directions: http://www.cts.cv.imperial.ac.uk/html/Miscellaneous/travelDirections.asp)

Abstract

Winter road maintenance (WRM) is intuitively beneficial to the safety and mobility of highway networks in winter seasons. There is however no robust methodology currently available for quantifying these benefits, which are needed for justifying the high costs of WRM operations and conducting comprehensive cost-benefit evaluations of all winter road maintenance decisions. In this seminar, I will present the latest findings of our empirical investigation on the effect of winter weather and road maintenance on road safety and mobility.  In particular, I will introduce a set of statistical safety and mobility effect models, which were developed using a unique data set containing detailed hourly records of road weather and surface conditions, traffic counts, and collisions on a number of highways from Ontario, Canada, over six winter seasons.  Several case studies are used to illustrate the applications of these models for evaluating alternative winter maintenance policies and operations, such as shortening bare pavement recovery time, changing maintenance operation deployment time, and raising level of service standards.

About the Speaker

Dr. Liping Fu is a Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Director of the Innovative Transportation System Solutions (iTSS) Lab at the University of Waterloo, Canada. Dr. Fu's research interests include intelligent transportation systems, public transit, road safety, and winter road maintenance. He holds one international patent and several software copyrights including a routing and scheduling system and a web application currently being used by Transport Canada for screening highway-railway grade crossings and developing safety improvement programs.  Dr Fu is the Chair of Transportation of Division of Canadian Society for Civil Engineering.

About the CTS Seminar Series
The CTS seminar series aims to facilitate discussion on current research topics in the transport field.  Seminars are held jointly with our colleagues in the Centre for Transport Studies at University College London. They are usually held at Imperial College London or University College London.

Seminars are free of charge and open to all interested parties. Booking is not required.

For further information: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
CTS home: www.imperial.ac.uk/cts<http://www.imperial.ac.uk/cts>