Dear members of the space syntax mailing list!
We would like to draw your attention to our session at the CAA2013 - ACROSS TIME AND SPACE at Perth, Australia.
We would be very interested in presentations of space syntax studies applied to archaeological sites or historical cities.
Pls. see the session description below. Paper proposals are due by 10th October 2012.
We look forward to hearing from you
Hanna Stoger and Undine Lieberwirth

On behalf of the Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology CAA 2013 Conference ‘Across Space and Time’, which will be held at the University Club of Western Australia in Perth, Australia on 25-28 March 2013,  we  would like to invite you to submit a paper proposal (abstract) for Session 14: 'Beyond Virtual Reality: documentation, interpretation and understanding of ancient cities'
The session will be jointly chaired by Undine Lieberwirth and
Hanna Stöger.
We thought you may be interested in attending and presenting a paper as the themes and topics covered at the conference session will relate to your area of academic and/or archaeological research.

For information about the Call for Papers please refer to the following web
pages: http://www.caa2013.org/drupal/papers (call for papers); http://www.caa2013.org/CAA2013sessions.pdf (list of sessions).

Should you have any questions please contact the conference organiser, Dr Arianna Traviglia on [log in to unmask] or us: [log in to unmask] and/or

We look forward to receiving your paper proposal and look forward to a fruitful and stimulating session - down under and across time and space!
Kind regards,
Hanna and Undine

Hanna Stöger, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Undine Lieberwirth, Topoi, Excellence Cluster, Berlin.
Session 14:
Beyond Virtual Reality: documentation, interpretation and understanding of ancient citiesCi

Since the 1990s archaeologists have been employing computer-based quantitative analysis tools to reconstruct not only cultural landscapes and rural settlements, but also urban built environments. These analysis tools and software solutions have been improved over the last decades, allowing us to advance our knowledge of the ‘Ancient City’ beyond descriptive digital models.

This session seeks to stimulate the discussion between different analytical approaches to the ‘Ancient City’, ranging from macro-scale analysis (including the exterior peripheral environment) to the micro-scale analysis of individual houses and interior spaces. How do we find ways of recapturing not only the physical form and fabric of the city, but also the daily activities which took place within the past urban space? Exceptional buildings and activities threaten to dominate the archaeological record because of their visibility; archaeology, on the other hand, has resorted to analytical tools such as GIS and Space Syntax which often reduce complex human interaction to deterministic models. How can we reach beyond these conceptual and methodological limits? How do we confront the spatial and temporal challenges posed by past urban environments? What techniques, approaches, or bodies of evidence prove most fruitful for detecting and reconstructing past urban life.

The session seeks to engage with broader debates on past urban space and its ‘social logic’ and wishes to invite participation which shows interdisciplinary dynamics, incorporating ideas from urban planning, thermal-modelling, geography, logistics, as well as spatial and movement analysis (accessibility, visibility) into urban computer-based archaeology. The aim of this session is to push the boundaries of current applications to open up new ways of studying and understanding Ancient Cities, and to work towards a shared set of analysis techniques and interpretative frameworks that can be applied to most past built environments across most time-scales.

Paper proposals should demonstrate a critical awareness of the theoretical issues involved in computerised study of the built environment; the proposed papers should clearly state the methodologies applied, the methods of analysis and software solutions used.

Dr Hanna Stöger, University of Leiden, The Netherlands
Undine Lieberwirth, MA, Topoi, Excellence Cluster, Berlin.
__________________________

CAA 2013 Perth - Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology
25-28 March 2013, Perth, Western Australia

Conference web site: http://caa2013.org
Submissions: https://caaconference.org/ocs Call for Papers: http://www.caa2013.org/drupal/papers

Reem Zako
Moderator: Space Syntax Mailbase

Bartlett School of Graduate Studies
UCL
Central House
14 Upper Woburn Place
London WC1H 0NN UK

Tel:      +44 (0) 20 3108 9046

Help to save paper - do you need to print this email?