I am delighted to announce that I shall edit a special section in Borrowers and Lenders: The Journal of Shakespeare and Appropriation (http://www.borrowers.uga.edu/cocoon/borrowers/about) about what for now we are calling Service Shakespeare. This is a call for papers with apologies for cross postings. Please forward this to those you think may be interested or send their contact information to me.

By Service Shakespeare, I mean Shakespeare used in the service of different populations, especially needy or isolated populations. Perhaps the best known example is the Shakespeare in prisons programs, and the best known example of this is the documentary Shakespeare Behind Bars. I hope to cast the net rather widely. My own contribution will be about using Shakespeare as a therapy for Alzheimer’s patients. Topics may include Shakespeare amongst those with other illnesses, with mental disabilities, the homeless, the poor, Shakespeare produced for those in the armed services, and serving the handicapped in professional theatre companies. Let these serve as examples of the sort of topics sought, not as limitations. I am open to any great idea as long as the emphasis is on using Shakespeare to serve others or as a therapy. Please contact me with your proposals.

Michael P. Jensen