Ian,

Some people I know receive the network mails. Can you imagine in this competitive world it is not a pleasant fact that these figures are made publically. If you publicise these figures publically, I have to react.

Filmmaking is "war", screenwriting, narratology is "war", Ian, certainly in times of recession.

As candidate I was an idealist for the practitioners I know (and I know quite a lot from different countries).  And these people have a lot of questions about the network. And I don't know the answers. I took a risk being a candidate. I am not a lobbyist.

In the mean time Steven and I exchanged private mails. So, I want to stop this discussion, I want to stop any discussion. It has been  enough for me.  You will miss me in the mailing.

Hugo

Dear all

Point of information about the elections. Steven and I discussed whether or not to release the actual votes or just announce who had been elected. We agreed that the usual practice in any election was to release the figures, because the process is then transparent. Neither of us had any desire to embarrass anyone, but rather than be coy we preferred to demonstrate the full and open electoral process.

I should also say that Steven was an excellent Returning Officer. When we discussed this, he did not tell me any figures – I learned of them at the3 same time as everyone else. Finally, having released them to the conference, it would have been unfair not to inform those who were not there.  My thanks to him.

Hugo – sorry you felt bad. You have no reasons to do so – you had the commitment to stand for election, and we thank you for it. However, your angst over this would have been better expressed to Steven alone, or perhaps him and Kirsi, as our Chairperson. There is a lesson to be learned here, but it is extending the pain to broadcast it over the Network.

On a more positive note, I thought we had a fair dinkum conference (if you Aussies still talk like that), and I had a ball. It was great to see old faces and meet new ones, and it proves Europeans can travel further than the end of their street.

All best wishes to everyone.

Ian