On 01/09/12 19:51, Lawrence Upton wrote:
> I envy you the stage and lights (I suppose) and large audience and radio
>
> As to the microphone, I would be as prescriptive as you and say you don't
> need it. Can't you make yourself heard in a large hall? Work on it.

Perhaps not that much to envy. Sydney has a history of live poetry
readings, often in inner city pubs, which had rock bands on the weekend.
The biggest pub readings I remember are at the Harold Park in Glebe
(Writers in the Park had up to 400 in a pub audience, noisy, so you need
a mike.)

Open halls can be done without a mike... but given the voice projection
and breathing, I couldn't inovate much, except to get over a slip up or
so. Most radio is community or educational readings. (I was reading
explicit gay stuff, so was mainly inner city gay audience and
supporters. Change in the boys toilet, put makeup on over the hand
basins and looked at oddly by other guys who entered my toilet dressing
room.)

Jill Jones could say more about this, as well, having given many live
readings.

Still, performance poet... don't know what to think of this term.