Hi Don,

You wrote: Now, time to get back to rewriting Design of Everyday Things.   I
am my third draft. Maybe this will be the final one, but probably not.

For what it's worth, a time and motion study  on academic researcher
activities I did in 2001 seemed to indicate  six revisions was optimal  for
successful research publications. Strangely, individuals described their
revision types differently yet six revisions seemed characteristic. Less
than six revisions of whatever type seemed to result in documents that
required additional polishing. More than six revisions seemed to be a waste
of time. Obviously, working on an existing text reduces the number  of
revisions needed as does working with a publisher, where their editorial
staff do some of the revision.

All the best,
Terence