Academic-only licensing was used by NLN. It was region-specific, so publishers used a dual license (free to UK FE, commercial to rest-of-world) which made it a hassle to host anything without sticking up a load of barriers (usually IP range restrictions, depending on the terms of the content creator).

It pretty much crippled one BECTA project I was involved in as it faced a huge stack of access management requirements that weren't budgeted for.

Of course, most of the resources were of limited commercial value anyway, and many of the original content creators either ceased trading, were bought out, or left the market to focus on other things. Leaving a big mess as no-one could re-license under different terms, or grant permission for special cases.

If we'd just used permissive licensing no-one would have lost out or been exploited, and we'd have saved quite a lot of money and time wasted trying to untangle it.