Agreed, that a good OH service will support their learning ­ and therefore
they will become more adept at what they do. However, there is the issue of
registration and public protection. An OHA who is not registered with a
statutory body canıt get struck of for poor practice. A paramedic working as
an OHA may still be registered with what was the HPC (now Health and Care
Professions Council) but they are unlikely to be practicing as a paramedic
unless they are working in very high risk environments such as off shore on
oil platforms.

Wearing my academicıs hat: Commenting on the academic aspect of a Dip OH
tech course. Diplomas (not Grad Certificates) are taught at level 5
(previously known as level 2). The learning outcomes are pitched at that
level and therefore taking a strategic role is not incorporated within the
learning outcomes of those diploma courses.

I would welcome the input of an OH tech in any department I practiced
within, providing their knowledge and skills are used appropriately.

Anne
Course Director
LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY