From:  Lee Nicola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:01
Subject:  [OCC-HEALTH] Occupational ill health - late onset

Dear All

The RCN, with other NHS trade unions is currently in discussion with NHS
Employers and the Health Departments for England, Wales and Scotland on
reform of the NHS Injury Benefit scheme.  It is likely that new arrangements
will come into force at the end of March 2013.

Transitional arrangements that allow staff to claim under the ³old²
arrangements for a specified period of time ­ a ³sunset clause² ­ are
currently being negotiated and the NHS staff side are trying to find
information on occupational injuries and diseases that typically have a late
onset of symptoms to help guide our discussions.  We have anecdotal evidence
about cases of Hep C, asbestosis etcŠ but it would be useful to have more
robust figures on timescales.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of some fairly straightforward
information (i.e. not too clinical!) I would be enormously grateful.

Many thanks and kind regards

Nicola Lee
Employment Relations Adviser

Royal College of Nursing
20 Cavendish Square,
London
W1G 0RN

www.rcn.org.uk
The RCN represents nurses and nursing, promotes excellence in practice and
shapes health policies.

------------------------------

http://www.rcn.org.uk <http://www.rcn.org.uk/>

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Royal College of
Nursing or any of its affiliates.

If you are not the intended recipient be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error please return it to the sender immediately.  The contents of
this message may be legally privileged.

Royal College of Nursing of the United Kingdom
20 Cavendish Square
London   W1G ORN
Tel: +44 (0) 345 456 3996
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7647 3436