Fair play John

How easy is it for us to over complicate matters...do as John says...back to basics with a manual handling risk assessment taking COSHH into account.

Regards,  Carr

On Sep 6, 2012 8:06 AM, "richard chalkley (IAH-C)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I agree.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of sharon naylor
Sent: 05 September 2012 18:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] moving small bottles of acids

would be tempted to hand this over to H&S.........sounds like its more in their field

> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 17:58:13 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] moving small bottles of acids
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi
> I have recently visited a college and have been asked advice on safe movement of trays of chemistry equipment for class groups.
>
> School does not want chemicals storing in classrooms- understandable.
> Prep room is up and down levels inside and out with thresholds so trolley not option also jiggling breaks pourers on measuring beakers . Acid bottles have stoppers which work their way out when jiggled.
> Doors locked/unlocked on route.
> currently one tray is carried at a time but fire regs say that the corridors have to be clear so cant have a shelf to put tray down to lock/unlock doors so the individual has to prop it against a wall while trying to lock/unlock door then the same on the other side of the door. Putting down, opening door, then picking up means lifting from floor while foot propping door open.
> door hooks to hold door open would just add another complicating factor.
>
> I suspect automatic doors would be costly.
> I have searched web to no avail- now over to the real knowledge source....any ideas?
>
> Jacqui
>
> ********************************
> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

The information contained in this message may be confidential or legally privileged and is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this message in error please delete it & notify the originator immediately.
Unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is forbidden & may be unlawful.
The contents of this e-mail are the views of the sender and do not necessarily represent the views of the Institute.
This email and associated attachments has been checked locally for viruses but we can accept no responsibility once it has left our systems.
Communications on Institute computers are monitored to secure the effective operation of the systems and for other lawful purposes.

The Institute for Animal Health is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England no. 559784.
The Institute is also a registered charity, Charity Commissioners Reference No. 228824