PhD position in Precision Molecular Physics

At LaserLaB VU University Amsterdam we have an opening for a PhD student working
on precision spectroscopic studies using advanced lasers, combined with
atomic clock/frequency comb calibrations. The goal of the study is to investigate
molecular absorptions that also occur in the spectra of distant quasar systems,
investigated by our research group, searching for possible effects of drifting
fundamental constants. We will pursue high-precision studies in the H2 and CO molecules,
in part also to investigate tests of quantum electrodynamics in molecules.
Laser-microwave double resonance studies on methanol are targeted, in view of the fact
that methanol is the most sensitive molecule to detect drifting constants through
radio-astronomy.

See for some recent results on such precision molecular physics studies:
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/Publications/CO-AX-2012.pdf
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/Publications/CO-PRA-2011.pdf
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/Publications/PhysRevLett.107.043005.pdf

And studies on drifting fundamental constants:
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/Publications/PhysRevLett.106.180802.pdf
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/Publications/PRL-Methanol.pdf
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/Publications/Q2348-MNRAS.pdf

The PhD position is funded form VU University with full salary for 4 years and the candidate will have an
employee status. Salary will be up to a maximum of 2,636 euro gross per month in the
4th year; income tax needs to be paid. Salary is supplemented with a holiday allowance
of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8,33%.

Contact for application and more details: Prof. Wim Ubachs ([log in to unmask]).
Homepage: http://www.nat.vu.nl/~wimu/

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html