 Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:25:38 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dating a Geographer's A–Z Street Atlas
To: [log in to unmask]

I recently wished to date Geographer's A–Z Street Atlas of Liverpool on which I found the  code DDB. On Wikipedia I found the following interpretation. Can anyone vouch for its veracity?
“On all their maps, there is a 3 or 4 letter code in one of the corners, often the one containing the key. These letters represent numbers, which are the cartographic date, in the form (M)MYY. There is at least one scheme in use, but possibly also a second.
One scheme is JIHGFEDCBA, for the numbers 1 through 9 and 0, so that HFD would be 357, or March 1957. This seems to be used on all of their maps not in book form (it may be used in the book form ones, but that has not been confirmed).”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographer%27s_A%E2%80%93Z_Street_Atlas#Dating_old_maps

The date that it gives(July 1979) seems reasonable for the map in question.

Best wishes
Tinho
Ps I naively included the word ‘dating’ in my original google search, and was offered sites that were not at all what I wished for!
Antonio da Cruz (Tinho)     [log in to unmask]

Map Curator,
Department of Geography, School of Environmental Sciences,
Roxby Building, University of Liverpool, LIVERPOOL  L69 7ZT

Telephone:  0151 794 2844

Fax:  0151 794 2866
Please note: I do not work on Thursdays.