Finally on this issue, after retracing my document-reading steps I
thankfully realised that I wasn't going mad when I put the local submit
script in /usr/bin, I read it here:

https://wiki.italiangrid.it/twiki/bin/view/CREAM/UserGuide#3_2_Forward_of_requirements_to_t

I've submitted a ticket asking for the documentation to be fixed.

Thanks again for the help,
Matt