From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wise, Julia
Sent: 18 September 2012 14:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Digitisation Project

Hi Nick,
I hit the same problem last year when trying to develop a spec for security and high quality scanning the Bucks HER collections.  We also came to the conclusion that it had to be a balance between practicalities (file size, image quality, network storage space) and getting the highest quality scans we could afford (time & money). What I plumped for was 600dpi pdfs for security scanning HER files, reports, maps and plans etc and for images (our vertical AP collection) 600dpi uncompressed Tiffs as the archival master copy and 600dpi jpegs as the working copy.  All the APS (black & white and colour) were scanned as 24-bit colour images as these gave the best quality images in test scanning.
We don't have paper excavation archives to worry about, so (following a discussion with ADS) I decided not to specify pdf/A formats.

You might want to think in advance about file-naming...if you get this right it will save a lot of time having to go back and rename files!

Regards,
Julia

Julia Wise
Historic Environment Record Officer
Planning, Advisory and Compliance Service
Place Services
Buckinghamshire County Council
New County Offices
Aylesbury