Right, le plus ça change, le plus ça devient la même chose ...

On 26.09.12 15:48, Serhij Wakulenko <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Dear all,

in my opinion, the term linguistics is too recent to cover the time span which the HSS members try to cover in their research. History of the language sciences would perhaps be a broader designation, but not really much better than history of linguistic ideas.

My feeling is that the current name is nice enough.

Serhii Vakulenko

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 11:02:07 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The name of the Henry Sweet Society
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear HSS Member
At a committee meeting earlier this year, the question was raised about the name of the Society, especially in connection with the need to attract new members.  The full name is The Henry Sweet Society for the History of Linguistic Ideas, and has been used since the foundation of the Society in 1984.

The committee would like to gather the views and suggestions of the membership about whether there is a case for either choosing a different name, fine-tuning the present name, or leaving things as they are.  The simplest way is for you to send me an email ( [log in to unmask] ) and I will put your comment(s) to the committee at its next meeting -- probably in November.

Here are a few thoughts to start things off:
  • Is the current name too long(winded)?
  • Could it be giving the impression to 'outsiders' that the focus is on Sweet to the apparent exclusion of other equally important linguists?
  • Is the expression 'linguistic ideas' an appropriate one to have in the title?
  • Is the mention of Sweet transparent for a younger generation of linguists?
  • Should the world-wide scope of the membership and their interests be emphasized by choosing a name that reflects better the interests of the membership?  Some people might say that the word 'British' should appear in the title; others that there is no need to mention the administrative base of the Society.  A parallel is the re-titling of the journal in 2009 to simply 'Language & History'.

I look forward to receiving any comments from you.

With best wishes

Mike MacMahon

(President, Henry Sweet Society for the History of Linguistic Ideas
University of Glasgow
Scotland/UK)