Hi everyone,

I’ve attached the responses to my evaluation question. I’ve also attached an example evaluation form Janet Tierney sent on. There are some great links in there, in particular Eric’s presentation is really eye-opening and the Rebecca’s links from the Science Museum are really useful and run you through all the steps.

I’ve decided on a 3-pronged approach to school visit evaluation based on this advice.

1.)     written/drawn pupil evaluations built into the session (with faces).

2.)     Venn diagram sticker evaluation by all teaching staff.

3.)     Follow up email/online teacher evaluation with a prize draw for a free class visit.

Based on your advice I made a few changes to the types of questions I was asking.

·         I wanted a quick teacher response on the day (due to time constraints) and realised the question I really wanted the answer to was whether they thought this trip was worthwhile (and as such would like to come again). I have made a Venn diagram for them to place a small sticker on, wherever they think the sessions lies in relation to the words ‘ Unique’, ‘Relevant’ and ‘Enjoyable’. Although I take Eric’s point that they can only offer opinions about what the pupils learned and enjoyed, they book the trips, so I need to make sure they are on-board too. As Venn worked at Hull University it seemed appropriate and a good chance to make it a learning experience!

·         There were some questions I had in my evaluation forms that no longer seemed relevant. For example the facilities (as we’re a new building) are always given top marks but no comments. I don’t do anything with that data anyway. I would never put in an advert 100% of teachers think our facilities are clean and tidy!

·         I realised I was asking questions because I thought I should or because other people do. For example one of my questions before was; ‘Did your pupils develop skills during this session?’. Firstly, as Eric points out there is no way of them knowing the answer to that. Secondly, I think skills and knowledge were in there because I thought that’s what teachers were looking for in a session. But the time they have with me is too short to gauge that anyway. The question I need to ask for my work is ‘was the session relevant, useful and appropriate?’

So in conclusion I’m working on the basis of questions I want or need the answer to, presented so that it’s fun, easy and quick to contribute.

Thanks again for your help,

Esther

Esther Hallberg

Education Officer

Hull History Centre

Worship Street

Hull

HU2 8BG

01482-317509

historycentre.org.uk

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All transmissions may be subjected to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Website: www.hullcc.gov.uk Tel: 01482 300 300 Text Phone: 01482 300 349