Hello
Caroline Bray has been recently employed to help museums become badged centres for provision of Arts Awards activities, and is about to embark on visits and meetings to many of you over the coming months. I only have her private email address so I'm wary of copying her in to such a group mailing. However, just in case she's not signed up to this GEM list I'll let her know what you're talking about and she can join in as she sees fit.

I'd say that Arts Awards and Artsmark are definitely both very good and well thought through schemes. They're excellent vehicles for ensuring that the arts and museums sectors can pull together strategically to increase the cultural offer for young people. What museums need to do is to promote themselves as places where creative skills and cultural understanding are very strongly delivered. I think that opportunity was lost while Creative Partnerships was the major arts education scheme. A lot of people still don't see that museums have much to do with the arts, or that the arts can be harnessed to deepen understanding of the humanities and sciences. We all know they can and getting involved in these two schemes are a great opportunity to sell that.

Bridget
www.flowassociates.com