Hi Mark

On 29 September 2012 17:31, 曾tmt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks again, Eugene, may I clarify my concept again.....

F-tests investigate several contrasts to see whether any combination of them is significantly non-zero. In this 1-factor 4-level ANOVA, there are 4 EVs: D, A-D, B-D, C-D. Contrasts of the last 3 EVs are included in ANOVA F-test.

Based on your explanation, for example, you mean F-test not only examine "(A-D) + (B-D)" but also examine "(A-D) - (B-D)"? In my understanding I thought it only examined "(A-D) + (B-D)"...........If it did examine "-" between EVs, in the "F-tests" example in the manual (3 groups of subjects, Contrast 1=mean of group 1, Contrast 2=mean of group 2, etc), the question to be addressed is not always "is any group activating on average?" (group 1; group 2; group 3; group 1+2; group 2+3; group 1+3; group 1+2+3) but should be "is any group combination activating on average?"(for example, group 2-3, group 1-2-3, etc)......

Rather than considering combinations of EVs, it is better to think about F-tests as testing whether the set of EVs can account for a significant amount of variance.  The wording of the "is any group activating on average?" is perhaps a bit loose - activating is not referring to just positive activation here. It says do the group averages model a significant amount of signal overall.  The effects could be A=1,B=1,C=1; or A=1,B=-1,C=0.  etc.

Hope that helps,

Eugene

And the final puzzle for me is, in this 8-subject design, why the EV1 fitting condition D is

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

? Isn't this representing the group mean of the 8 inputs? Or does it just shift the mean of D to the group mean and make "relative" comparisons between other levels?

Really appreciate for your help!

Mark