Hi,

I'm glad that that is what happened, as this makes the most sense.
You haven't quite interpreted what I said about FLIRT correctly though.

For FIRST I recommend that you do not do registration beforehand as the registration inside FIRST is optimised for subcortical structures, and this needs to match what happened with the training data (where such a subcortical-optimised registration was used).

Outside of FIRST (regardless of whether you run FIRST or not) we recommend using other registrations (e.g. with FLIRT) and not the FIRST registration (as the FIRST one sacrifices cortical alignment to get better subcortical alignment, and so is only really useful inside of FIRST).

I hope this answers your question, and that you haven't thrown your FLIRT registrations away, as you should still use them outside of FIRST.

All the best,
	Mark