A fundamental difference between scientific methods and "other ways of knowing" lies in TESTABILITY of hypotheses and observations. Quantum physics - a paragon of the abstract thought - enjoys its reputation and credibility because of submitting its ideas to rigorous experimental testing, many of which stood the test of time. A paradox of science lies, however, in recognition of its FALLIBILITY- we know that what we know today will be revised in the future. "Other ways of knowing" typically claim immutable "truths". Yet, with all its fallibility and revisability, the accumulated human experience during last couple of millennia is pretty clear how to go about the problems we face.
Ben Djulbegovic