From:  Ronan Conroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:53 AM
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: Teaching of complementary medicine to undergraduate medical
students

On 2012 MFómh 26, at 22:42, k.hopayian wrote:

> Their claims that the deaf will be able to hear, that paraplegics will walk
> again and that the terminally ill will have their cancer melt away can be
> tested by observation. Observation = a form of evidence.

This then leaves us in the position of having a large body of observational
evidence for miraculous cures through the intervention of saints. Clearly
observation requires some sort of post-processing before it becomes
evidence.

So I thought I would add to the debate one of my favourite definitions of
truth, which comes from the distant past, and which discusses the place of
evidence in the wider context of truth:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it
Do not believe in traditions, because they have been handed down for many
generations
Do not believe in anything, because it is spoken and rumoured by many
Do not believe in anything, simply because it is found written in your books
Do not believe in anything, merely on the authority of your teachers and
elders

But after observation and analysis,
when you find that anything agrees with reason
and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all,
then accept it and live up to it"

This is a complex definition. It requires, as Dr Hopayian points out,
observation, but also analysis.
It also requires a process of integration between observation and underlying
theory,
but ­ and this is where it's an interesting definition for evidence based
health ­ truth must entail benefit, and this benefit must entail the wider
good, not just personal good.
And, finally, truth, in this perspective, is not just knowledge but entails
a lived commitment.

The source? It is from the Kalama Sutta, one of the discourses attributed to
the Buddha.

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences