I found this response to that BMJ article very interesting : http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/homeopathy-not-good-not-medicine/

I find the apparent belief that unproven treatments (i.e. "alternative medicine") aren't harmful deeply troubling in this discussion.

Beyond the offense to ethics represented by telling people who are trusting the practitioner as an expert that a given unproven treatment will help them, and taking money for that treatment, there are serious consequences when people rely on unproven treatments (many nutritional supplements, many herbal remedies, etc.) and treatments that depend entirely on magical thinking (homeopathy, energy healing, etc.).  You can read about some of these harms on http://whatstheharm.net/, any of the quackwatch websites, or on sciencebasedmedicine or sciencebasedpharmacy.

"Other ways of knowing" are really only "other ways of thinking" and without some systematic method of interrogating themselves and reality, of getting past all of the biases and fallacies that humans are so prone to, and then revising themselves when they discover a mistake, they can't really be argued to lead to any sort of knowing, only unfounded belief.  They are elaborate fairy-stories.  In order for them all to be equally valid, the universe would have to somehow be made up of little reality bubbles that each had different rules for physics, chemistry, etc. and then people would have to have some way of detecting which rules applied in the bubble they were in at any given point in time.

I would agree that doctors should have more knowledge of the unproven treatments their patients are likely to encounter and possibly buy-into, but this knowledge should always be underpinned by critical thought, and a real evaluation of the evidence in the context of what is known about how bodies work.  If the "alternative" in question can only work if everything we know about how biology and/or chemistry and/or physics works, there had better be some pretty fantastic evidence to indicate that we need to start over from the beginning.

Melanie

Melanie Anderson
Librarian - Saskatoon Health Region