Yes indeed, Ronan, an important question. But, but...... Science is a form of socially constructed language on par with homeopathy and acupuncture?  Well, yes if and only if you accept one important assumption, one that you state with so much certainty: that all such forms of knowledge can be judged only by their own models. That is where your argument leads us astray.

Whether homeopathy argues that water has memory or not, whether acupuncture rests on the existence of meridians or not, they both lay claims to effecting observable phenomena: diagnosis and treatment. These claims can be put to the test of observation. This is one form of judgement that is EXTERNAL to their "paradigm". And what happens when that external test is applied? You know the answer. Yet people continue to believe in them, you are right on that. To understand why, turn to social psychology.

Science starts with a belief that there is a world out there that we can observe and describe, leading us to develop theories and draw deductions which can then be tested by further observation. I repeat the challenge that I have made before, if anyone denies the existence of such a world, walk with me into the middle of a busy road and stay there, while I get out of the way of the oncoming social construct (Hopayian, K. (2004) Why Medicine Still Needs a Scientific Foundation: Restating the Hypotheticodeductive Model.  Br J Gen Pract, 54, 400 - 403).

Dr Kev (Kevork) Hopayian, MD FRCGP
General Practitioner, Leiston, Suffolk
Hon Sen Lecturer, Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia
Primary Care Tutor, Suffolk
RCGP Clinical Skills Assessment examiner