Apologies for cross-posting, please forward to potentially interested folks!

CFP DOPE2013: Weaponizing Nature

Dimensions of Political Ecology: Conference on Nature/Society

February 28-March 3, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY

Over its long career in social, political, and scientific thought, the concept of ‘nature’ has been used in any number of ways for any number of means. Militarily, nature has reflected trends in broader ideologies of natures, vacillating between threat and opportunity, enemy to be overcome and ally on which to rely. While these historical ideas about and engagements with nature are well documented and theorized, the contemporary physical environment is changing in unprecedented and unpredictable ways that merit critical attention across a broad spectrum of socio-political phenomena. Militaries around the world are acting on and reacting to these ecological changes, from climate change to fallout (literally and figuratively) from previous rounds of military-induced environmental degradation in diverse, novel, and sometimes contradictory ways. The aims of this session are twofold: first, to interrogate military technologies, techniques, and practices as they relate to changing environments; and, second, to understand how nature is being reconceived and even repurposed for military ends by state-actors, think tanks, or political discourse.  The session will attempt to move toward a more synthetic understanding of the ecological futures that are being created by dialectical movements between military practice and material-discursive constitutions of nature.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

Geostrategic implications of artic ice melt

Synthetic biology and military genetics

Legitimation of environmental concerns through military endorsement or action

Military visioning and environmental aspects of scenario planning

Extension of post 9/11 securitization practices into ‘fortress conservation’ or other (non)state-environmental concerns

Ecological refugees and border security practices

Contesting or justifying military sacrifice zones

Repurposing sites of ecological catastrophe for military training or technology testing

Military-industry nexuses and environmental remediation

Non-state militaries engagement with environments

Insurgency, counter-insurgency, and the changing physical environment

Uncertainty in climate projections and contingency in military planning

Military repurposing of environmental buzzwords (such as sustainability or resiliency)

Links between ecological imperialism and military-led imperialism

Contributions to the session(s) may be empirical or theoretical, and may confront either one or both aims of the session.  Abstracts should be sent to Patrick Bigger ([log in to unmask]) no later than November 15, 2012. Inquiries or expressions of interest are also welcome.

The third-annual Dimensions of Political-Ecology: Conference on Nature/Society will be held at the University of Kentucky February 28-March 3, 2013. For information on travel, registration, keynotes and other specifics, please see www.politicalecology.org/dope2013.

Patrick Bigger I PhD Student I Department of Geography I UK Political Ecology Working Group
University of Kentucky I 1457 Patterson Office Tower I Lexington, KY 40506
[log in to unmask] I 859-257-3947