Mark

Adding lime will increase the pH to a level which will effectively stop gas
generation.  There has been a research project on this method of stabilising
sewage sludge.

Also the lime will reduce the moisture content which may make it suitable
from a geotechnical point of view.  The 5% limit on organic content for lime
stabilisation is a value that is used when the end product is to be used a
pavement structural layer and you are relying on chemical reactions between
clay and the lime to achieve a certain strength.  It may not be an
appropriate limit if they just want to make the sludge less sloppy so they
can build over it.

Steve Wilson, Technical Director
on behalf of EPG

Tel 07971 277869
www.epg-ltd.co.uk

-----( Disclaimer )-----

Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the
addressee only, and is confidential and may contain commercially sensitive
material. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this
communication, other than for which it is explicitly intended, without the
permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from
your system. Whilst all e-mails are screened for known viruses, the company
cannot accept responsibility for any which have been transmitted.