Jiri Vlach has the following useful information about Windows (so the
default is that the directory is where you start Analysis up, which is the
Desktop, but you can change this):

"I believe that the solution of your second problem is pretty
straightforward. Right-click on the Analysis icon on your desktop, choose
Properties, find "Start in" entry in Shortcut tab and fill in the path you
want Analysis to be starting from."

And if you want multiple possible directories then:

"If you have say five most used directories than make four more copies of
your desktop Analysis shortcut icon and set the start-up paths for them
accordingly. It's not very elegant but may work."  (Using Copy and Paste
of the shortcut.)

On Unix you just start up Analysis where you want, and that is the default
directory where it looks for projects until you navigate elsewhere.  And I
guess on Windows you could also put a shortcut somewhere besides the
Desktop, although I haven't tried it to see if that works.

Wayne