I'd just use a decent shell scripting language (like zsh) in conjunction with a unix tool like awk.  But the gnuplot option sounds ideal.

Bill

William G. Scott
Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
228 Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA