From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Etiquette on publishing if there is a crystallization report from someone else.

In the very early days, solving a protein structure was an enormous amount of work and since hardly any protein structures were solved there was a huge pool of unsolved structures. Under these circumstances, it was a waste of resources if two groups would work on the same protein.  To prevent this, people would publish crystallization notes so other groups could choose another protein to work on and this is what usually happened. Also, the purpose of scientific publications is that other people can use this information to progress their results.

Unless unethical actions were involved (holding up referee reports, making shortcuts to publish before the competition) I do not see a reason why you could not publish your paper. As Jürgen suggested, you may want to contact the other group to see if you could publish back to back.

my two cents,
Herman