Rashmi,

What you ask is impossible to answer because you have not given us any details.  Sodium sarcosyl (or sarcosine) is a very problematic, but useful detergent.  For some proteins, it is an effective denaturant (hence the denaturing/refolding protocols in the literature); for others, it is a mild detergent.  It crystallizes in the cold and in potassium containing buffers.  It can also be a pain to get rid of, particularly by dialysis (due to its charged nature).

We have used it routinely for the extraction of some membrane proteins, but realize that it may not be the best detergent for purification.  Hence, we often extract with sarcosyl (or a sarcosyl mixture with a milder detergent like dodecyl maltoside), then do all of the purification in a milder detergent (again, like dodecyl maltoside).  But do not assume it keeps the native state of your protein.  Our general experience is that as a detergent for extraction, sarcosyl is OK, perhaps because our target membrane protein is still stabilized by the solubilized native lipid.  If you can get lithium sarcosyl, it may work even better.  Nonetheless, always have some sort of assay for nativeness.

Regards,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rm[log in to unmask]