After this religious debate concludes, I propose we return to the old standby - vi versus emacs.

-----Original Message-----
From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Gruene
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 5:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Off-topic: Best Scripting Language

Hi James,

I don't read "blaming" in George's words, just reasoning for a
personal decision.

Maybe I suffer from similar prejudice: I have the impression that
python programmers spend a lot of effort in trying to convince others
that python is a "good" choice. Why bother rather than let people make
their own decision?

Cheers,
Tim

On 09/12/2012 09:49 PM, James Stroud wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2012, at 1:00 PM, George Sheldrick wrote:
>
>> It is the lack of compatibility between different versions
>> mentioned by Ethan that really put me off learning PYTHON.
>

> Python is backwards compatible. I have reams of code I wrote in
> python 2.3 that still works in 2.7 without modification.
>
> Also, python (aka python 2) and python 3000 (aka python 3) are
> considered two different languages. It's not reasonable to
> consider them one language and then complain that they are
> incompatible. Python 3 was created as a new language (and should be
> treated as such) precisely because it breaks compatibility with
> python 2. That was the intent of the language authors.
>
> You blame the authors for recognizing limitations of a language
> and inventing a new one to overcome those limitations.
>
> If the FORTRAN authors would have done that about 30 years ago, we
> all might be programming in FORTRAN.
>
> James

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie
Tammannstr. 4
D-37077 Goettingen

GPG Key ID = A46BEE1A

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.