Don't miss out on the early bird offer (deadline 30th September)

BAC Conference 2012
'Born This Way: Business Archives and the Digital Record'
Thursday 8th November 2012

This year's conference considers the challenges and opportunities which digital records present to business archivists, records managers and users.  Speakers will look at born-digital and digitised records from a variety of perspectives including approaches to access, interpretation and education, enhancing the user-experience, regulation and compliance, and IT solutions.  For the first time this year the conference will include a panel discussion where experts will debate the future implications for the management of digital records in the business archive environment.  The conference will be held at The Baring Archive, 60 London Wall, London, EC2M 5TQ.

It will begin with registration at 9.30am (see detailed programme below), followed by the AGM at 10.00am. The conference will start at 10.40am and run until 5.00pm. Following the conference, a reception will take place at The Baring Archive for the presentation of the Wadsworth Prize for business history. It begins at 6pm and all conference delegates are invited to attend.

The deadline to take advantage of the early bird rate of £70 is 30 September.  After this, the charge will be £80 for BAC and ABH members and £100 for non-members. A second or third delegate from the same member organisation will cost £60 each.  We are pleased to also be able to offer a discounted student rate of £20.

A booking form and further information can be found on the BAC website at:

http://www.businessarchivescouncil.org.uk/activitiesobjectives/conference/

Any questions, please contact Katie Keys on 020 7332 3988 or Judith Wright on 0115 959 3472.

Conference programme
From    09.30   Registration and coffee
10.00 - 10.30   Business Archives Council A.G.M.
10.30 - 10.40   Comfort break
10.40 - 10.45       Welcome and introduction to the conference

Session 1       Digital Demystification
10.45 - 11.15   Discussion session: examining the issues - Rabbit in the headlights: archivist meets digital preservation
11.15 - 11.45       William Kilbride (Executive Director of the Digital Preservation Coalition) - The Digital Preservation Decade: what we knew then; what we know now and what we wish we had realised earlier
11.45 - 12.00   Tea and coffee
Session 2       Sharing Knowledge: widening our professional outlook

12.00 - 12.30           David Hill (Manager Information and Records, Bank of England) - A records management perspective on born-digital records: RM at the Bank of England
12.30 - 13.00   Simon Rooks (Multi-Media Archivist, BBC) - A long and winding path: the journey towards multi-media archiving at the BBC
13.00 - 14.00   Lunch

Session 3       Digital Delivery: two case studies
14.00 - 14.30   Vicky Stretch (Archivist, Network Rail) - New Access to Old Stuff; the value of the Network Rail Virtual Archive
14.30 - 15.00   Clara Harrow (Archivist, The Baring Archive)  - Risks and Rewards: Using digitised sources to open up the world of finance past and present
15.00 - 15.30   Tea and Coffee

Session 4       Taking stock and moving forward
            15.30 - 16.00       Oliver Morley (Chief Executive and Keeper, The National Archives) - The national perspective: challenges, opportunities and a vision for the future
            16.00 - 17.00       Panel Discussion (chaired by Oliver Morley) - Our speakers debate the future implications for the management of digital records in the Business archive environment
From 18.00      Reception for the presentation of the Wadsworth Prize for Business History

Katie Keys
Archivist
London Metropolitan Archives
Culture, Heritage and Libraries Department
City of London
Tel: 020 7332 3988

www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma<http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/lma>
Follow us on Twitter<https://twitter.com/>
Join us on Flickr<http://www.flickr.com/photos/londonmetropolitanarchives/>
Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/londonmetropolitanarchives

THIS E-MAIL AND ANY ATTACHED FILES ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE
LEGALLY PRIVILEGED.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
copying, distribution or other dissemination or use of this
transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then
delete this e-mail.
Opinions, advice or facts included in this message are given
without any warranties or intention to enter into a contractual
relationship with the City of London unless specifically indicated
otherwise by agreement, letter or facsimile signed by a City of
London authorised signatory. Any part of this e-mail which is
purely personal in nature is not authorised by the City of London.

All e-mail through the City of London's gateway is potentially the
subject of monitoring. All liability for errors and viruses is
excluded. Please note that in so far as the City of London falls
within the scope of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the
Environmental Information Regulations 2004, it may need to disclose
this e-mail.
Website: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk